Day Four of The Odinsleep (In the Garden of Idunn - to the Walls of Asgard)

Day Four of the Odinsleep (7:32 am)


Idunn opens her mouth to speak but stops short as a wide smile spreads across her face.  Cedron turns to see where the goddess’ gaze is directed and sees the long-bearded Bragi stepping out from around a bend in the path.  The two gods approach each other and kiss and then Idunn’s husband speaks, “I would have you protect my bride.  My beautiful darling was once kidnapped by the Jotun and I would not have that happen again.  What say you, all of you?”

Idunn frowns, “How can you do that?  How can you shame me in front of new people?  These mortals barely know me and now, because of your wagging tongue, are wont as not to assume I am some feeble lass who cannot be entrusted to care for her safety.”

Bragi stammers, “M-m-my Love, I meant nothing ill by my words, I just…”

The goddess cuts him off, “Your ‘meaning’ means nothing.  I was much younger then, and none the wiser to Loki’s scheming.  Such a thing would not happen now.”

“Yes, my love, I was just trying…” as Bragi tries to find some footing in the conversation, Idunn stops him once more.

“Darling Husband, isn’t there somewhere you should be right now?  The lovely goddess arches one eyebrow and Bragi blows out a long breath, “Yes, my love.  The Einherjar are massing and Loki’s forces should be arriving on the field of battle.  I should go but I leave you with my most profound of apologies.”

Idunn swiftly closes the distance between them and lays one hand on his shoulder, “Be careful out there.  Even though I am vexed by you at the moment, I wish fondly for your safe return.”  Bragi smiles and nods, taking his wife’s hand in his own and kisses it softly, “As you wish…”

Bragi vanishes from sight a moment later, disappearing in less than an eye blink, leaving the party alone in the orchard with his wife.

The group looks on in a silence that is finally broken by Shadow, “Sounds like a fine way to spend the day.  I accept.”  The awkward moment broken by the drow, Cedron chimes in, “I concur with my friend.  It would be our honor.”  All the while, Korbin flits from tree to tree, his head cocking one way then the other as watches everything going on around him.

“We shall earn the moniker ‘Killer of Giants’ while in Asgard it seems.” Ra’ziir states while making no mention of the Jotuns and trolls who have already fallen in battle against the party.  Drax nods, “They are unlikely to sneak up on us at least.”

Niklas frowns, wondering just how the last kidnapper got through the defenses of a goddess.  He mumbles as much to Kysek who shakes his head, “At least we won’t be picking apples.”  The gold elf’s voice is still flat and carries no enthusiasm for what he believes to be a task best left to others while he and his companions defend the wall from Loki’s encroaching army.

Grotto looks at the goddess and slowly releases the branch he had pulled down, “These would have made a great pie… guess, we’ll be your bodygu… err, companions instead.”  Morn nods in agreement while Arthur and Desmond remain nearby looking for anything that may cause the group harm.

Hansuke meows and clambers his way up to his usual perch on Raven’s shoulder.  The elf scarcely notices as he wonders what sort of creature could be powerful enough to abduct a goddess and hold her against her will.

Idunn turns and faces the group, extending one graceful hand to Cedron, “Come.  I know a place atop the wall where we can watch the battle.”  She glances toward Kysek, “Mayhap, it will set some of your minds at ease if we are in a position to lend our strength if needed.”

Meanwhile, there is no sign of Grog who was last seen leaving the mead hall of Valhalla with a toe knuckle taken from one of the Jotun’s in yesterday’s battles.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Osse - The Forgotten Continent of the Forgotten Realms

The EM-50 Urban Assault Vehicle

Beldam (Other Mother from Coraline)

Gisaku Fujita - Ninja Chef

Accidentally Funny

Malazzarr's Temple in Lankhmar