The Gift of Hellfire - A Forgotten Realms Adventure Seed

"He blew through the door like he owned the place.  Broad at the shoulder and narrow at the hip with a wispy beard that couldn't hide his boyish face, even with the help of his too-clean and starched watch uniform he wore but like any customer walking into Madame Iitaar's, the color of his gold was all that mattered so I smoothed my hair, put on my best smile and welcomed him with all of the grave seriousness I could muster.  My name is Ishmail Astrollacyll and I am a gnome."



"I'd been staying in Velen since the end of the war.  I couldn't bring myself to return to the home I shared with my brother out on Banshee's Point after he'd been killed in the First Siege of Myratma, at least not for any longer than it took to collect some personal effects before making my way here and becoming Iitaar's apprentice.  I've been studying with her for about a year now, learning how to perform séances and tarot readings and adding new divination spells to the one I had already collected. In exchange for the lessons, I cook, clean, and keep the old bird company."

"Oh yeah, and screen potential clients, like this one.  Most of the people who come here are dames wanting to know if seagoing husbands and sons are safe but every so often, we get something different.  I asked the officer what I could help him with and launched into his story...."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A dead, burned body has been discovered in whatever city your players' adventuring party is based in.  It is the third in as many weeks and the city watch is no closer to finding out who is behind the killings than they were at the beginning of their investigation.  Your players are brought in to lend whatever aid they can and a suitable award is offered.

What's Going On:
A Disciple of Mephistopheles (level consistent with your party's) has been working to build a mercenary band armed with the power of Hellfire.  He and his followers prey on transient sailors although a wayward drunk stumbled home from a tavern is also considered fair game.  The victim is drugged and transported to a secret (or changing) location and then a prospective member conducts the sacrifice and, if all other requirements have been met, is inducted into the order.

This devil worshiper's ultimate goal is to amass enough power to overthrow the duchy and carve out a kingdom of his own.


When I originally wrote this, I had a 2-man party of 12th level characters in mind but it could easily be adapted in a number of ways. For a landlocked city, substitute caravan drivers and drovers for the sailors. In a more modern setting in the era of your choosing, the same plot could be used for a more Call of Cthulhuesque adventure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Osse - The Forgotten Continent of the Forgotten Realms

The EM-50 Urban Assault Vehicle

Beldam (Other Mother from Coraline)

Gisaku Fujita - Ninja Chef

Accidentally Funny

Malazzarr's Temple in Lankhmar