A Horse By Any Other Name (Part 8)

One Month after the Summer Solstice (Seventh Moon, 1000 ALB)


Ra'ziir frowns, "Who are these two sisters and what have they to offer us?" He reaches out with one of his front hooves for the book, trying to get a glimpse at the title and notes that it is called "Equestria - A History".

Foil Hat sighs, "I told you about this. The princesses, their big fight, the banishment to the moon for one thousand years? They used to live in the castle, pretty much wrecked the place when their brawl went down. Excuse me, I have to go. Back in a few minutes!"

Kysek steps aside to allow Foil Hat to depart and approaches the unicorn wizard, "Abacus, might I inquire just what it is you are trying to link in your spell research? Perhaps I could offer an opinion if you could enlighten me in what you are trying to accomplish."

The yellow-haired horse replies, "Certainly. As you know, all Unicorns are able to use telekinesis with minimal concentration and Pegasi are able to physically manipulate clouds and walk on them without falling through, even when asleep, again, probably a form of telekinesis. When casting spells, components serve as a mnemonic link between the caster’s mind and the effect he wishes to achieve.  The energy itself does not require these components but allow the caster to ensure that he maintains the proper flow and pattern of the energy he is shaping with his mind. I believe that this same unconscious concentration could be applied to actual spellwork."


Shadow interjects, "How does a wizard use their material components while spell casting in pony form?"

"Pony form?" Abacus asks, "I take that to mean that you look...different back where you came from then?" After a brief nod from the gathered adventurers, he responds, "I carry a pouch around my neck with my mystic ingredients. When I want to cast a spell, I focus my energies through my horn and the magic consumes what it needs to to complete the effect."

Grotto looks around the room but knows very little of the arcane. Hanseath provides all he needs for his magic to work. Having nothing to add to the conversation between magic users he listens in hoping to learn something. "Of course we are going to be lead to the lair of these sisters", Grotto thinks to himself. "This must be where the trap will be sprung!"

Cedron listens intently. “We will require some rest before we travel onward.” He looks to the others. “We’ve had a long couple of days. I insist, if I’m to ensure your health. And when I say rest, I mean it. No gallivanting or cavorting” He says while staring at Grotto.

Grotto snorts and says, "Be careful asking that the group rest. Raven will bite your head off for such a request." Grotto cuts his eyes toward Raven's direction as his words hang in the air. Grotto then speaks up to were all the group can hear, "Yes! I agree with the bard! Let us take this time to rest. Grotto is partially selfish in his request to rest." Although the break from constant fighting would be good, Grotto does enjoy his unsullied pony body. The constant mental pain from the reminders of his past from the deep scar are not to be seen. The constant physical pain from the scars are also not bothering his pony form. It is a rare bit of peace Grotto feels. It is a shame he has only found this peaceful feeling while having the body of a horse!

Cedron turns his attention to Abacus. “Where might we find safe lodging for the night? Also would you mind if I borrowed your book for a bit? I’d like to read a few of the stories you mention. I understand if you’d prefer that I stay within sight while I read. I assure you, that I will treat the book with the utmost care.”

The book and Abacus' horn take on a soft orange glow and the book floats over to the minstrel-priest. "I'm afraid that there are no inns in town. If you wish, you are free to sleep downstairs but I was under the impression that your departure was a matter of some urgency."

Raven paces the floor impatiently, "How far is this castle?" He looks directly at Grotto, "I wouldn't want anyone to think that I am... no, that's not accurate. I am adult enough to admit that I am... uncomfortable in this body. I want my own back. I want my swords. I stand by my statement that partaking in the local fare is a bad idea until we know more but I am no longer our leader. It is not up to me to push the group onward. I apologize, good dwarf, for my words and behavior."

"Ah my friend, no need." Grotto replies, "The constant stress of battle and our lives in the line is enough to get to anyone! You were just lucky I have hoovrs or else I would have punched you out!" Grotto says with a joking smile. "I've seen you seen you take down a jontun but you have never tangled with a hungry dwarf I bet!!!" With this quip Grotto laughs loudly and smiles a big horsey grin at Raven!

After a short while, Foil Hat returns with two other equines.  Both are Earth Ponies.  The first pony is female with a brown coat and green hair.  A stylized cartographic symbol adorns her flank.  The second is a large male, easily the largest the group has seen since their arrival.  He has a yellow coat with an orange mane.  He has the image of a large wrench on his hindquarters.  He wears a red hardhat with a light of some sort strapped to the front on his head.  Both ponies are carrying a satchel over their front shoulder.

The girl pony speaks first, “Foil Hat said we’re going to the ruined castle in the forest?  Are you sure that’s….wow, there are a lot of new faces around here.  Hello everypony, I’m Compass Rose!  And, my friend over here is Honey Bucket.”


The yellow stallion nods to the group before turning to face the unicorn pony.  “I don’t get why we just don’t go find Twilight Sparkle.  No offense, Abacus, but she is way more powerful than…”

Foil Hat interrupts the stallion before he can finish his sentence.  “No way!  We are not getting the Element Bearers involved.  I don’t have a problem with any of them as ponies but they report directly to Princess Celestia and I’m fairly certain Her Majesty isn’t going to be overly pleased with the idea of a bunch of strangers traipsing around in the ruins of her old home.  We can handle this problem ourselves.  Nopony else needs to get involved.”
- - - - -
• Cedron: 79% health;
• Drax: 100% health; Nondetection (lasts until about 10 pm), Undetectable Alignment (lasts until about noon tomorrow)
• Grotto: 74% health;
• Kysek: 100% health; Half of the Tome has been read
• Niklas: 84% health; 
• Raven: 80% health; 
• Ra’ziir: 73% health;
• Shadow: 97% health;

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Osse - The Forgotten Continent of the Forgotten Realms

The EM-50 Urban Assault Vehicle

Beldam (Other Mother from Coraline)

Gisaku Fujita - Ninja Chef

Accidentally Funny

Malazzarr's Temple in Lankhmar