Day Three of the Odinsleep (A New Friend Appears?)

DAY ONE (Day Three of the Odinsleep), 9:40 am


Kysek and Raven both look up at the assembled elementals with wide smiles and nod.  Kysek remarks, “Those will do in a pinch.”  Shadow admires the gold elf’s handiwork as well, “Those should do nicely. Neat trick Ra’z. Always knew you had a heart of stone.”  Even Drax, who is normally impassive, looks at the elementals in something resembling awe, “That...is impressive magic.”

“I do what I can.” Ra’ziir says with a smile before walking over to the elementals. He welcomes the minions of Grumbar to Asgard and then issues commands for the elder to attack the largest of any foes, specifically Jotuns that may appear. The other elementals are commanded to engage any other enemies or to assist the elder if they are no enemies for them to fight. “Until our enemies show themselves, remain vigilant my friends.”

Grotto chimes in, “I have my robe of scintillating colors.  These ogres and troll are weak willed.  You all look away and I can don my robe.  I can run into the middle of the pack of these foul beasts and have them stunned and dazzled.  Then we wale on them.  That should buy us some time to at least get in better position if not to finish them off all together.  Hanseath will guide our strikes!"

Cedron continues to tend to Raven.  Despite repeated healing prayers, the elf’s wounds are still great and the cleric sighs in frustration.  Healing you when you’re this injured is like trying to fill up the community cistern with piss.  It’s possible, but I’m going to go dry before I finish the task but I have an idea.”  He pulls a potent scroll of healing from his cloak. “Ra’ziir, do you mind if I use this to heal Raven?”

The bladesinger looks the priest’s way and replies, “I gave to you because I trust your judgment my friend.  Do what you think is best.”

Cedron unrolls the first of the four remaining scrolls – a spell powerful enough to mend any mental affliction and any wound short of death and reads the words scrawled upon it.  Energy flows through him, channeled directly from the plane of Positive Energy, the Plane of Life itself into Raven’s battered body.  When the spell has finished doing its work, nearly all of the cuts from the shrapnel flung about by the Jotun smashing the stone berm with its axe have healed and only a bruises and few scrapes remain.

Grotto takes his place beside the elf and wraps his squat fingers around one of the beads braided into his beard and invokes another healing prayer.  More energy flows into the elf, revitalizing him even more.

Cedron looks to Raven “That woman is right you know. If you’re dead you are of no help to us. You fight with years of skill and experience, but you still run headfirst into battle like a child. You may think you’re being brave, but I think you do it because you’re scared of something.  I don’t care what the other Bards might say, dying is not romantic.  Promise me you won’t sacrifice yourself for some false ideal of heroism.  Promise me!” the priest demands of Raven.

Raven picks up Thorgrim and looks at Cedron, "What are you trying to do, scare me? You sound like my mother. We're talking about fighting alongside gods here and you want me to be careful? Besides, you know what a cautious fellow I am" before sliding the cursed sword into its sheath.

Cedron smirks. “I know exactly what a cautious fellow you are.” replies the minstrel-priest. “That’s what worries me.” He pauses. “I get it. Really I do. The whole bravery, giving it your-all, kill or be killed mentality.  I’d walk the Nine Hells for these guys. But you’re right, we’re fighting besides Gods now, and yet we are NOT gods! When you use Thorgrim against giants, you seem to forget the century of experience that has kept you alive and fighting. All I ask is that you be careful, my friend. My brother.”

Morn, watching the events unfold, sees others have stated similar thoughts if not the way he himself would have, a grimace twisting his features at one of Cedron a comments before smoothing out. “It isn’t childlike.” His voice isn’t raised to carry “when Raven and I first met I believed I recognized those two blades, its Magic’s are powerful but, like all things exacts a price. I agree it should be more of a last resort than a first resort my friend. You aren’t one of those Rashemi berserkers after all.”

Shadow nods in agreement, “Perhaps you should share the burden when facing these Giants and let one of us use that sword. That way you’re not always taking the brunt of each attack on your own.”

Desmond approaches Raven and unbuckles his sword belt and holds his own enchanted longsword out for the elf to take.  "Use this, my friend. I believe it will aid you in what's to come. It's meant for emergencies and I consider this to be one."

Raven shakes his head at both his drow companion and the former sergeant, “No.  I appreciate the offers but I knew the risks and the burden this blade carried when I accepted responsibility for it.  I will refrain from using it as much as possible and, with Drax’s wolf-pack tactics and Ra’ziir’s elementals; it may be that I won’t come to need it in our next battles.”

Niklas agrees, “Those elementals should surely take the pressure off of you!”  The woodsman then turns to Desmond and introduces himself as he had not had many opportunities to get to know the group’s only other dedicated archer before Desmond vanished upon entering Wonderland.

Arthur returns from his scouting mission at about the same time and reports his findings to the group, particularly the craters and ridges that could provide chokepoints or concealment for ambushes along the approach across the field.

While all of this is going on, Korbin folds up his portable hole and tucks it into the harness worn across his back.  The crow flaps his wings a few times to stretch them out and then takes off into the air, circling above the field to watch for the next wave of attackers.  He sees no giants, trolls, or Jotun but his keen avian vision does pick out a figure moving across the field.  Even from this distance, it is obvious that the figure is human and given the coarse covering of body hair, likely a male one at theat.  Clad in some sort of fur kilt with a large bearskin cloak thrown over one shoulder and carrying an absurdly large club, the man moves at a brisk pace across the field, glancing back over his shoulder every so often as he walks. 
- - - - -
Grog, you have been walking for longer than you can remember. You still aren't sure how you got here from Othrys although it is of some comfort to be out from under the feet of the titans who lurk near Mount Olympus. Ahz, your snake familiar doesn't know exactly where you are but he does know that it is one of the Upper Planes and might be part of the Beastlands.

You are crossing a vast, rolling plain. Two days ago, you spotted the gleaming gold wall of a large settlement off in the distance and started making your way toward it. Your progress has been hounded by brutish giants and green-skinned trolls and you were forced to hide several times to avoid getting into fights where you would have been badly outnumbered. But finally, your destination is in sight.

As you draw closer, it is impossible to miss the massive corpses of giants, ogres, and trolls. You can see what must be hunting bands or tribal warriors spread out along the base of the wall and pick up your pace, glancing over your shoulder every so often to make sure that nothing is following you.
= = = = = =
• Arthur: 94% health;
• Bubo: 100% health;
• Cedron: 93% health;
• Desmond: 100% health;
• Drax: 100% health;
• Grotto: 100% health;
• Hansuke: 94% health;
• Korbin: 100% health;
• Kysek: 100% health; Stoneskin (78 minutes, 9 rounds remaining)
• Morn: 100% health;
• Niklas: 100% health;
• Raven: 86% health;
• Ra’ziir: 100% health; Stoneskin (158 minutes, 9 rounds remaining); Elemental Swarm (8 Large Earth Elementals, 1 Huge Earth Elemental, 1 Elder Earth Elemental – by the time the Elder arrives, 140 minutes, 0 rounds remaining)
• Shadow: 100% health; Overland Flight (14 hours, 38 minutes, 9 rounds remaining); Iron Body (DR15/adam, immune to blindness/critical hit/deafness/disease/drowning/electricity/poison/stunning and effects that affect physiology or respiration, Str 21 (+5)/Dex 16 (+3) attack bonus/penalty cancel out, gains +3 damage, ASF 50%, -8ACP, 13 minutes, 9 rounds remaining);
• Spewer: 100% health;

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Osse - The Forgotten Continent of the Forgotten Realms

The EM-50 Urban Assault Vehicle

Beldam (Other Mother from Coraline)

Gisaku Fujita - Ninja Chef

BeyBlades for D&D

Accidentally Funny