Day Five of the Odinsleep (Burning the Midnight Oil)


Day Five of the Odinsleep (Approaching 1 am)

 

Arthur straightens with pride as he gratefully accepts the wooden and jeweled rod, “I thank you for this magnificent gift.  I will use it wisely and I will watch for you on the field of battle as well.”  He reaches out to clasp the god’s wrist in the manner of warriors and wills what little healing magic he has left into the deity, “Tell you wife that I wish her well, please”.  Bragi raises one eyebrow, perhaps in surprise, perhaps in amusement but smiles and claps the knight on the shoulder. 

Shadow looks over at the scrolls, “Those contain some fairly powerful spells.  I hate to see them used as a one-shot resource when we could copy them into our spellbooks for later use.” 

Kysek tosses Niklas a pair of the Svartaflar’s boots.  The woodsman removes his old pair and slips his feet into the new.  The soft leather conforms perfectly to every bend, his arch and instep, even his toes.  And they feel so light and soft despite the durable leather they are made from – a truly luxurious prize indeed!  “If Korbin doesn’t want that armor, I will gladly accept it!”  The elf reaches over and rubs the woodsman cloak between two of his fingers and then passes him a cloak as well. 

As Raven continues weaving the heartwire through his chain shirt, Korbin caws, “I thought elves were supposed to be good listeners with them ears and all.”  The bird lets out an exasperated sigh, “Fine, one last time, Loki plans to harvest the best parts of the best heroes as they fall.  He’s then going to assemble and bring to life and monstrosity to kill everybody.  It’s a smart plan really.” 

The bird cocks his head to one side, “Ivaldi, would it be possible to weave an entire suit of armor from that wire?  One small and light enough that I would still be able to fly while wearing it? And also, of all these magic persons, who do you believe to have equal skill in the arcane as you do with the forge?” 

“Damn, bird,” Ivaldi takes a long draw off of his pipe and blows a smoke ring into the air, “Ye sure be full o’ questions.  Ta answer th’ first, a course it’s possible, just a question a whether er not it be practical and I fer one, would say ‘no’.  And fer the second, ain’t a body anywhere with near ta my skill at th forge, ‘cept fer mebbe me boys.” 

Shadow turns and walks with Morn, speaking as they move away from the bright light of the fireplace, “Morn, I would be happy to share my ritual with you when we have some peace and quiet.  It takes a fair amount of concentration and if we are interrupted, we could lose the magic in both items.  We need to check out Raven’s time-stopping bracers first though since it may save our bacon tomorrow.  Care to join me?” 

The bard shrugs, “I am not sure what help I can provide in that endeavor but I am game.” 

The two reach Ra’ziir just as he sits up to inquire with Völundr’s wife as to who would be best to ask about repairing the magical bracers.  She frowns, “My husband or Master Ivaldi would know better than I, but magic?  I would think that the All-Father would be the best versed in all of Asgard.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Osse - The Forgotten Continent of the Forgotten Realms

The EM-50 Urban Assault Vehicle

Beldam (Other Mother from Coraline)

Gisaku Fujita - Ninja Chef

Accidentally Funny

Malazzarr's Temple in Lankhmar