The Play-by-Post Campaign Begins (The First Post)

It's hard to believe that over seven years have passed since I officially launched my play-by-post campaign.  What started out as a rough idea born in my garage one evening after work has become the basis for this blog and an ongoing source of entertainment for me and my players.


When I first started, I had no idea how I was going to manage to pull off this task.  I had heard of other groups that had tried playing using this format that simply collapsed in on themselves due to lack of participation.  I still believe that including "filler" material - blog articles by other writers, D&D-based memes, game and movies reviews are what got our group through the first year of this "chapter" of our gaming career.

In the beginning, I responded to every bit of dialogue in the comment section as they were posted and this made for some incredibly long comment threads (at least two broke 100 before I had the next post ready).  This is a transcript of the first post.  The only changes I have made are to spelling and punctuation, otherwise, this is "as-is" (or was, whichever).  Over the course of the intervening years, some players have dropped out, some have died, and Legolas changed his name to Ra'ziir (the player had never been really pleased by his character's name but we had made due through two deployments to the Gulf and nearly 12 years of civilian life before we finally reached a point in the story where it made sense to change it).

I'd also like to think that the quality of everyone's writing has increased measurably since the campaign's inception.

That said, we now join our party in the city of Tsurlagol immediately following the events of "The Assault on the House of Hidden Darkness".

23 Kythorn 1369 DR

The party is gathered around at a large trestle table in the inn's common room. A large (crude) map showing the eastern lands of Faerûn is laid out atop the table.

Romulus asks "So, where exactly are we heading?"

Raven says, "We'll leave here and cross into Impiltur. Then follow the coast and catch a ferry across the Easting Reach and head into over to the city-state of Telflamm."

Kysek then asks "Why? Doesn't really sound like you have any actual destination in mind."

Raven shrugs "I don't really. But, I've never been this far east before. Besides, Rasheman is out that way."

Legolas interjects "Yes, but so is Thay."

Romulus smiles and says "Look, even IF we end up in Thay it's not like we're going to walk up and knock on Szass Tam's front door and stand around politely while Raven runs the lich through with his sword. Right, Raven?"



...


"Um, Right, Raven?"

Raven replies "I can assure you that at this time I have no interest in assassinating any of the sovereigns in any of the lands that we will be passing through."

Alisandra adds "No matter how distasteful those leaders may be."

"I like the fact you left the option open for revisiting should the circumstances warrant it once we reach the aforementioned lands. I hate putting limitations on the activities before the trip even starts," chuckles Shadow.

"When do you intend to depart, Raven?" Legolas asks as he motions for the closest bar wench, intending to inquire about the inn's wine selection. "I should like to prepare my spell arsenal in advance."

"If anyone has any business left in the city, I suggest you deal with it tonight. I'd like to be on the road before Highsun the day after tomorrow."

"Raven," asks Lucian, "What buisness do we have in the eastern lands of Faerun? If I may ask."

"What business do we need? " comes Morn's reply, "I am happy to come along just for the stories."

Shadow adds, "I will venture out in the morn and secure some items for our trip. Romulus care to join me?"

"I will need to procure some supplies as well, Raven." says Legolas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Osse - The Forgotten Continent of the Forgotten Realms

The EM-50 Urban Assault Vehicle

Beldam (Other Mother from Coraline)

Gisaku Fujita - Ninja Chef

Accidentally Funny

Malazzarr's Temple in Lankhmar